89 Users Online

Home | Business | Directory | Forum | Jobs | Lifestyle | News | Tourism | What's OnContacts

Peterborough UK
02:06 on Sunday
13 June 2010

24/7 Windscreens - discounted excess, free repairs, top quality, keenest prices

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Message Board
 Peterborough Forums | Message Board
Subject Topic: Parochial!!!!!!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
haste ye back

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 25 April 2010 at 15:39 | IP Logged Quote haste ye back

What is it with the ignorant shop assistants of Peterborough???

Are they either too stupid or ignorant (or both?) to know what a Scottish £20 note is??

They scrutinise these notes as if they were from some far off land (it's only 200 miles or so up the road) but I bet they would take a bag of them is if they were offered!!

Back to Top View haste ye back's Profile Search for other posts by haste ye back

Joff
Power Poster
Power Poster

Posted: 25 April 2010 at 20:58 | IP Logged Quote Joff

I believe some retailers may have a policy of not accepting Scottish bank notes so the shop assistant (who might not come into contact with Scottish currency from one month to the next) is better off checking than leave the till short of £20 at the end of the day (which would then need to come out of their wages).

Jenny
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 April 2010 at 12:43 | IP Logged Quote Jenny

Can't remember the last time I saw a Scottish bank note, so I'd look twice at it.

Although banks and the post office accept them with no problems, retailers are not forced to accept them and some do have policies in place not to as Joff said.

In fact I believe retailers can refuse to accept any currency they are unsure of.

Back to Top View Jenny's Profile Search for other posts by Jenny Visit Jenny's Homepage

Petemac
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Posted: 27 April 2010 at 14:59 | IP Logged Quote Petemac

Let no one fob you off with 'Scottish notes aren't legal tender in England'.

This is an urban myth and total pigcrap.

Traders may refuse to take them as payment but they can still be banked as part of the normal days' takings. They can't be given out by traders as change.

Just as traders can refuse to take anything as payment.

Joff
Power Poster
Power Poster

Posted: 27 April 2010 at 15:06 | IP Logged Quote Joff

Petemac wrote:

From what I can remember (I could search for it again, but I'm not that bothered), Scottish bank notes AREN'T legal tender as far as the definition goes, but they are accepted methods of payment (assuming the parties involved agree).

Petemac
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Posted: 27 April 2010 at 15:16 | IP Logged Quote Petemac

Joff wrote:
Petemac wrote:

From what I can remember (I could search for it again, but I'm not that bothered), Scottish bank notes AREN'T legal tender as far as the definition goes, but they are accepted methods of payment (assuming the parties involved agree).

That's a great  argument.

Joff
Power Poster
Power Poster

Posted: 27 April 2010 at 15:19 | IP Logged Quote Joff

What argument? 

Jenny
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 April 2010 at 16:43 | IP Logged Quote Jenny

Petemac....Scottish notes have a value here and in Scotland, but look up the definition of 'legal tender' and I believe they don't even qualify as legal tender in Scotland!!

As you say they can be banked and retailers can refuse to accept anything as payment.

If you're not the business owner and must rely on your employees knowing and recognising what is genuine, then a policy of when it doubt don't accept it is possibly understandable, especially smaller businesses.

Back to Top View Jenny's Profile Search for other posts by Jenny Visit Jenny's Homepage

PunkyRebelMedia
Power Poster
Power Poster

Posted: 27 April 2010 at 17:31 | IP Logged Quote PunkyRebelMedia

They're not legal tender as the Bank Of England explain:

"Are Scottish & Northern Irish notes legal tender?
In short ‘No’ these notes are not legal tender; only Bank of England notes are legal tender but only in England and Wales."

If offered one Scottish £20 note or a whole bag of them I'd still look twice. For a start there's three different banks issuing three different designs and it's been bloody years since I've seen any.
Back to Top View PunkyRebelMedia's Profile Search for other posts by PunkyRebelMedia Visit PunkyRebelMedia's Homepage

Halfaperson

Posted: 28 April 2010 at 08:42 | IP Logged Quote Halfaperson

I come from Scotland and when i'm down here and paying with a Scottish note i always say "sorry, its a Scottish note" and that normally does the trick.

You get the odd Scottish Nationalist (and they are all very odd) ranting about this subject, but i'm quite sure the very same people would query a Bank Of Ulster note

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version