87 Users Online

Home | Business | Directory | Forum | Jobs | Lifestyle | News | Tourism | What's OnContacts

Peterborough UK
02:17 on Sunday
13 June 2010

0845 Numbers, 0870 Numbers and 0800 Numbers for your Business

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

Message Board
 Peterborough Forums | Message Board
Subject Topic: The Cresset Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Elsie
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05 June 2010 at 02:14 | IP Logged Quote Elsie

I hate to disagree with you Steve, since you have already attained the position of the most consistently reliable and successful promoter in Peterborough, but I would draw your attention to the fact that the Cambridge venue is easily accessible and is in fact located in Cambridge town.

I often feel that events that are offered in Peterborough, appeal to a commercial and sometimes rather sterile audience.  One of the the problems with this, is that the people who are more artistically discerning, are not necessarily the people with the most money to spend.

The idea that there is no point in investing in arts and culture locally, because Peterborough people are just Phillistines, is shooting us all in the foot.

I am probably speaking out of turn, but the elitist, back-slapping mentality of the Peterborough City Council and the Peterborough Evening Telegraph, are. in my opinion, bringing us all down way below our natural level. Why can't the powers that be, just sit back and encourage the proliferation of talent that we have locally? Why can't the local media just report on stuff and stop trying to make out that Peterborough is some future idyll?

I admit that there is a certain hard-nut mentality in the Fens that might present a bit of a challenge, but lets face it, most of the people who might fancy a night out are probably not even from here, or they may be youngsters who are too young to know about Peterborian apathy.

PS. what is this Suzi Quattro thing?

Outcast
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Posted: 05 June 2010 at 10:20 | IP Logged Quote Outcast

Suzi quatro played the Wirrina just after she released "Can the Can" and hardly anyone showed up.

She vowed she would never play Peterborough again.

So far she's kept that promise.

blip
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Posted: 05 June 2010 at 13:36 | IP Logged Quote blip

There's an extraordinary wealth of talent from around these parts which I believe is some of the finest in the UK merely for having to prove themselves even more so than others because of this unusually geocentrically developed localised and now generationally ingrained apathy towards those who try to create new original and exiting music or other artistic ideas. Sadly it remains unrecognised because of Peterborough's continued apathetic conditioning, one which is certainly neither encouraged or constantly supported by the local news media, paper, radio and TV, nor regularly enhanced to people's forefront attentions as local special talented efforts need to progress, as they are in other cities.

roflwaffle
Groupie
Groupie

Posted: 05 June 2010 at 18:41 | IP Logged Quote roflwaffle

the met wrote:
Same ticket price,sane line up,Peterborough on a Wednesday
and Cambridge on a Thursday so no real difference in days
of the week.
Maybe Cambridge is wealthier but we're talking teenagers
and it was only a £10 ticket so not an excessive amount.
AND we spent twice as much advertising here in Peterborough
as we did in Cambridge.

Maybe because it was half term this week. Not rocket science!

Back to Top View roflwaffle's Profile Search for other posts by roflwaffle

PunkyRebelMedia
Power Poster
Power Poster

Posted: 06 June 2010 at 01:14 | IP Logged Quote PunkyRebelMedia

blip wrote:
There's an extraordinary wealth of talent from around these parts which I believe is some of the finest in the UK merely for having to prove themselves even more so than others because of this unusually geocentrically developed localised and now generationally ingrained apathy towards those who try to create new original and exiting music or other artistic ideas. Sadly it remains unrecognised because of Peterborough's continued apathetic conditioning, one which is certainly neither encouraged or constantly supported by the local news media, paper, radio and TV, nor regularly enhanced to people's forefront attentions as local special talented efforts need to progress, as they are in other cities.

which in English means there's a lot of talent but we've been let down by the council (the man etc) and as our parents' think it's sh*t so do we, which doesn't help because the ET/Radio Peterborough don't do anything to support new/local talent.

Please tell me Blip, when was the last time you went to see live music in town?

As for the half term comment from rofl, surely there's half term in scumbridge too?
Back to Top View PunkyRebelMedia's Profile Search for other posts by PunkyRebelMedia Visit PunkyRebelMedia's Homepage

blip
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Posted: 06 June 2010 at 13:00 | IP Logged Quote blip

Peterborian creative artistry, music or otherwise, I believe is of the finest because it fights harder than the rest of the UK in its efforts to rise above the unusual denigrational backminded pond in which it finds itself. The lack of support and encouragement for what I believe is in reality a blossoming cauldron of some of the centre of the world's finest artists, for the local media not to take note of nor fervently report about, I think is abysmal.

Wake up Borough! You know we've got some of the best in the world going on here. The original LIVE music scene, if we work it right from this heart centre of the UK, can rule the world with the right sort of support.

C'mon!

Richard Groom
Power Poster
Power Poster

Posted: 07 June 2010 at 09:48 | IP Logged Quote Richard Groom

What does everyone mean by 'support'? It's a vague word - does anyone have any useful suggestions? I'm not sure that bleating on about the lack of it helps further the argument that there is lots of talent around: if people are talented then surely they should combine it with hard work to get more local or national exposure, rather that waiting for 'support'.

The Beatles didn't get 'support' - they were prepared to prepared to play in seedy joints in Germany for eight hours at a stretch for months on end to learn their craft. There are countless similar examples - and very few of people who only achieve something when a council or other public body gave them a helping hand.

I'm playing devil's advocate a bit here, but talent plus hard work seems to me to be the way to get an audience, not public subsidy.

dazzathedrummer
Power Poster
Power Poster

Posted: 07 June 2010 at 10:46 | IP Logged Quote dazzathedrummer

Richard Groom wrote:
What does everyone mean by
'support'? It's a vague word - does anyone have any
useful suggestions? I'm not sure that bleating on about
the lack of it helps further the argument that there is
lots of talent around: if people are talented then surely
they should combine it with hard work to get more local
or national exposure, rather that waiting for 'support'.
The Beatles didn't get 'support' - they were prepared to
prepared to play in seedy joints in Germany for eight
hours at a stretch for months on end to learn their
craft. There are countless similar examples - and very
few of people who only achieve something when a council
or other public body gave them a helping hand.I'm playing
devil's advocate a bit here, but talent plus hard work
seems to me to be the way to get an audience, not public
subsidy.

Agreed - if you have a product that's in demand because
it appeals to a lot of people *and* you take it to the
market, it should sell.

These days, with the internet, issues surrounding cost
and geographical location are no longer barriers.

The amount of 'support' required these days is down to a
minimum - so success is way more available to those that
want it.

http://www.myspace.com/dazzathedrummer
Back to Top View dazzathedrummer's Profile Search for other posts by dazzathedrummer Visit dazzathedrummer's Homepage

the met
Power Poster
Power Poster

Posted: 07 June 2010 at 11:13 | IP Logged Quote the met

with regard to half term,its a fair point but other regional shows did better figures than us in the school period and to be honest, I went to flyer the Tinchy Stryder show at Cambridge in March where Example was main support and on a Monday night,in school term time there was 1850 people there for a sold out show and again,the age range was primarily 13-17 year old people - mostly female so if they can come out in Cambridge on Monday night then theres no reason why people can't come out in Peterborough on a Wednesday night.

The point I'm trying to get across is that I promote shows in Peterborough because its my home town and I want to see 'big stars' coming to the city but a national promoter who has no 'loyalties' towards Peterborough would simply look at the 2 figures and think 'next time I'll just play Cambridge'.

We can make as many excuses as we want about days of the week,universities,people who are 'artistically discerning' as we want, the bottom line is that a town/city that supports live shows will be used far more than a city that doesnt by all promoters.

I'm not sure I follow when people say that the local media doesnt support local talent - what exactly are they supposed to do? - both the ILR stations have a music policy that is set in stone from a central head office and it will be the same for all their regional stations so bands in other parts of the country are in the same position. They have audience figures to achieve and if playing local artistes who their audience has not heard of dimishes their listening figures then they're not going to play you - simple as that! 

I for one believe that the local press do support events in the city - the ET has a guide every Friday and a daily whats on feature - all free advertising for your event.BUT you have to make the effort to contact them - not vice versa and its not hard when the person to email your info to is on the ET homepage!

But and i've alway said this, IF you think that the local press is so important to your success ie if the ET dont give you a mention then your event/gig/album is going to be missed by the vast majority then ADVERTISE yourself!. If you're putting an event on or selling a CD then you're making a commercial decision and you have to include some costs for advertising in your budget.

If the budget is small then you have to spent it where you think best and treat any extra publicity as a bonus.  

In my view the main thing we have change is the mentality of ' If i'd have known it was on then I'd have gone' - that for me is the biggest problem we have. You can advertise until you're blue in the face but if people are not prepared to make the effort to find out whats going on then there is not much you can do apart from knocking on their door!

Colgrin
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Posted: 07 June 2010 at 12:06 | IP Logged Quote Colgrin

The problem I see it about Peterborugh is that it seems to me that no one who runs the city gives a sh*t about culture.

For example, Peterborough museum has some pretty impressive exhibits, in particular the bone artefacts fashioned by POWs from the Napoleonic Wars and not a bad art gallery, albeit it a bit small.

Outside the museum we have the most impressive Norman cathedral in Europe and in Flag Fen one of the most important archeological sites in Europe. Nearby we have Ferry Meadows with it’s water sports, which aint bad for a former gravel pit.

You tell anyone about any of this and 9 times out of 10 you will get a blank face. Well maybe apart from Ferry Meadows.

So when those that run this city make no effort, how do they or anyone expect anyone else to?

You go to any other city and they seem to think differently.

We’ve come back from a weekend in Newcastle, my girlfiend is a Geordie, and there the local council sponsor new and existing enterprises, helping to commission new museums, like the Baltic gallery for contemporary art and the Sage , as well as renovating the Quayside– turning Gateshead and Newcastle river sides from a run down sh*t hole into a very pleasant and vibrant place to be.

OK the public shouldn’t always be asked to subsidise talent and getting an audience, but we don’t need to talk about handouts, we should be talking infrastructure .

Peterborough has a lot going for it, it has a lot to offer and there is a lot of talent, and I would hazard a potential demand to see what Peterborough has to offer. Maybe instead of splashing out on new Mercedes dealerships, and Tescos and shopping centres maybe a bit more thought should be made into how to turn a sterile uninspiring place to live to something we all can be proud of, a city that can bring people from all over; a city that can attract and accomodate big names.
Instead we have a city that is increasingly becoming no more than a glorified industrial estate and retail park.

I’ve worked all over the country and most people I come across who know of Peterborough don’t seem to have any high opinions of it and that is a real shame, there seems to be little that has any attraction for anyone outside of our city.

I like Peterborough. It has a fascinating history, when you can find it, and it is a great place to bring up a family. I’m just worried that when my 2 little boys grow into teenagers what will they have to stimulate them, apart from White Lightning and concrete?

I feel sorry for those promoting acts in this city. Not only do they have to cope with a seemingly apathetic public, but also a couldn’t care less attitude by those that run this city.

I may be totally wrong, but that’s how I see it, anyway.

Praise the Lord and get a free Playstation!!
Back to Top View Colgrin's Profile Search for other posts by Colgrin

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version