93 Users Online

Home | Business | Directory | Forum | Jobs | Lifestyle | News | Tourism | What's OnContacts

Peterborough UK
14:11 on Sunday
13 June 2010

0845 Numbers, 0870 Numbers and 0800 Numbers for your Business

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

General Discussion
 Peterborough Forums | General Discussion
Subject Topic: Voting ... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Juls77
Power Poster
Power Poster

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 April 2010 at 23:16 | IP Logged Quote Juls77

So, who's voting for who?

I confess I have never voted before. I've had a vague interest in politics to say the least, I buy the odd paper but mostly online paper reading to cherry pick things of interest.

This year I'm looking into it, reading around and curious to see what they're saying. Does that make me a geek?

I know there are a lot of strong opioned people on here who probably know more than me, so I'm curious to know some thoughts and follow the directions I wouldn't even think of.

Sorry for the rambling post .. new to this topic x

Rockstar
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Posted: 12 April 2010 at 23:44 | IP Logged Quote Rockstar

Good for you Juls that you are asking...

I would say read as much as you can....

Truth is, (in my opinion)

If you vote for one side, they will say "give us a term, We'll turn it around"

Then they will say say "oh, but We need to fix all the stuff the last party messed up - We need more time.."

Then they will say "trust us, We are nearly there - We'll show you what we have been working towards...."

Then, the country will say "stuff you lot, We need a change"

They then vote in the other side - and off We go again...

I think whoever gets in is going to have to balance the books - the bills remain the same...

So, the only sure thing is tax, it's just a question of how they dress it up....

That's how I see it....

Juls77
Power Poster
Power Poster

Posted: 13 April 2010 at 00:00 | IP Logged Quote Juls77

I've just been sent a thing on facebook about the Robin Hood Tax - sounded quite good, but I haven't read what the other parties are saying about Tax ... yet

My mum votes Conservative "because her mother did!" ! ... useful for her input lol

Everyone else I know says not to bother, it's all crap!! lol .. such motivation involved in this topic so far on the personal people ask around .. lol

Adman
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Posted: 13 April 2010 at 10:17 | IP Logged Quote Adman

I'm voting for Clegg - 'cus I fancy his wife

Back to Top View Adman's Profile Search for other posts by Adman

Outcast
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Posted: 13 April 2010 at 11:02 | IP Logged Quote Outcast

Cuz time has proven Dad was right !!

Edited by Outcast on 13 April 2010 at 11:08

Colgrin
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Posted: 13 April 2010 at 12:53 | IP Logged Quote Colgrin

I'm tired of all the PR driven politics where politicians are given a "nice" human face and their attractive photo-genic wives.

What i want to see is nasty candidates with their pig ugly and evil spouse. I don't want a prime minister, I want an El presidente with a penchant for military uniforms and firing squads.

Seriously thogh Juls I think you are right. You should have a look at all the policies, decide that they are empty vacuous promises that they are never going to keep and save them for when you run out of toilet roll.

The sad thing is is that there really is little choice in any of the three main parties, they all want to do the same thing, lavish the banking sector with state handouts while the rest of the country starves, they all want to suck up to Obama and continue our little colonial wars, they all want to rip off the tax-payers with PFI scams; the only difference is their style. As tony Benn oncve said, we are being managed not represented, and it is that feeling of not being represented that is behind this so-called "voter apathy".

The BNP are still not much more than a sick joke and the UKIP are basically dissaffected rich tories with too much sun (tan lotion)

Hving said that the main thing is that you do vote, not to vote would be an insult to those who suffered to get us the vote.

As for me, I'm torn with voting Green, only because they've openly discussed issues, such as the PFI scams, which are taboo subjects in mainstream politics, but I think I'm going to end up writing "not any of these numpties" on the ballot paper.

Praise the Lord and get a free Playstation!!
Back to Top View Colgrin's Profile Search for other posts by Colgrin

Jenny
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 April 2010 at 15:12 | IP Logged Quote Jenny

Whatever, I will be voting, I always do.

I have been known to choose the candidate that I think would do more for the constituency rather than the party they represent. Because as others have said, there really doesn't seem to be much between the main parties.

I don't like the look of any of their wives, so can't use that one to help

Back to Top View Jenny's Profile Search for other posts by Jenny Visit Jenny's Homepage

blip
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Posted: 13 April 2010 at 21:33 | IP Logged Quote blip

Hey Juls, it's gonna be my first time to.

All I can say is really give careful thought on the matter. 

We've never been in this much sh*te before for ourselves and the next generation.

Look out for the most honest speaking, with most social concerning policies, and maybe, just maybe, this time we can make something really happen.

All the best.  

Juls77
Power Poster
Power Poster

Posted: 14 April 2010 at 00:11 | IP Logged Quote Juls77

Thanks guys for all your tips and advice. I have to say I'm find it all rather baffling at the moment.

I have people saying they're not gonna vote for who they really want to vote for as it will guarantee such n such party a seat and then someone sent me some link to a website 'voter power' basically saying that I live in an ultra safe area for seats so my vote won't mean anything. I mean what does that mean, seats?

I remember some time ago now for some journalism homework going to a town hall meeting and was astonished by how many people were conservative compared to other parties, so I'm assuming the ultra safe area means that Conservatives have it ...

Oh I dunno, all this tactical voting etc etc ... I just want to vote for whomever I decide to vote for. Watched Jeremy Paxman with the lib dem man, didn't feel me with hope despite having read some of their website and what I read, I liked.

Is there a website that lays it all out simply, with no spin what each party are bringing to the table? If so, I'd appreciate it if someone pointed me in the right direction.

Am I really naive to hope for real proper change. I find it a miserable concept to think that I have no say at all and we should just carry on being herded around like sheep by an ineffectual herder .. hmmmm ponder much I am

the nobz
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Posted: 14 April 2010 at 10:04 | IP Logged Quote the nobz

Juls77, have a look at this site...www.votematch.org.uk.

There's a simple agree/disagree with a series of statements and a smattering of 'highlight which issue most concerns you'.  It then gives you the party or parties which are most aligned with your thinking and concerns at the end.

It was pretty accurate for me. It might give you a pointer if anything.

Edited by the nobz on 14 April 2010 at 10:05

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version