Peterborough Civic Society

Plaque 9    Peterscourt, City Road
The familiar name "Peterscourt" was only given to this building in the early 1950s, when it housed the Sales Department of Perkins Engines. Previously, for nearly 90 years, it had been a teacher training college. The St Peter's Training College opened in temporary buildings in 1859 and moved to this building designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott on its completion in 1864. The College closed in 1938 and was used as an American Services Club during World War II. It reopened between 1946 and 1950 as an emergency college, and became the headquarters of Peterborough Development Corporation between 1969 and 1975. It was extensively restored by the Corporation in 1984/86.
< Plaque 8

Plaque 10  >

Home | Contacts | Talks | Activities | Plaques

Site hosted by www.peterborough.net