Peterborough Civic Society

Plaque 7    Lincoln Gate, Lincoln Road
A school for girls was built on this site in 1911, designed by Annesley Brownrigge. The County School for Girls had its origins in the Pupil Teachers Centre established in temporary premises in Broadway in 1904; this moved to Park Road in 1907 and was opened to all girls of secondary school age. From then for the following 30 years the school was run by the redoubtable duo of Miss Kate Wragge and Miss Harriet Hough. Despite proposals in the 1960s to rebuild the school, it survived until 1982 when it was closed and the staff and assets transferred to the new Ken Stimpson School in Werrington.
< Plaque 6

Plaque 8  >

Home | Contacts | Talks | Activities | Plaques

Site hosted by www.peterborough.net