Peterborough Civic Society

Plaque 6    Crescent Roundabout
This was the site of Peterborough's cemetery between 1805 and 1858. Before 1805, the people of Peterborough were buried in the lay cemetery behind the Cathedral but this land became very overcrowded and so the new three acre site was purchased. This also became full within 50 years and another new plot was acquired adjoining Eastfield Road. The old cemetery here was severely disturbed in 1911/13 with the building of Crescent Bridge and again in the early 1970s with the building of the present roundabout.
< Plaque 5

Plaque 7  >

Home | Contacts | Talks | Activities | Plaques

Site hosted by www.peterborough.net