Peterborough Civic Society

Plaque 3    32 Bridge Street
The Angel Hotel, which stood on this site, was one of the major coaching inns in Peterborough. There are references to it in 1548 and its name suggests it may have had some connection with Peterborough Abbey. The Fitzwilliam family acquired the inn in 1713 and it was probably rebuilt around the end of the 18th century. The inn was used for public meetings and performances during the 19th century and served as the base for the Fitzwilliams' political candidates at election times. In the 1930s it became the City's first AA/RAC three star hotel. It was demolished in 1971.
< Plaque 2

Plaque 4 >

Home | Contacts | Talks | Activities | Plaques

Site hosted by www.peterborough.net