Plaque 19 Thorpe
Hall, Thorpe Road
renowned as the finest Cromwellian domestic building in the country, was
built between 1653 and 1656 for Oliver St John, Lord Chief Justice to Oliver
Cromwell. St John's family and heirs lived there until 1793. For a short
time it became a school and in 1850 was bought and restored by the Rev
William Strong. His family sold it in 1927 to E J Meaker who died in 1937.
Between 1943 and 1970 the house was used as a maternity hospital. The Sue
Ryder Foundation acquired the Hall for a Sue Ryder Home in 1986 and
completed the refurbishment in conjunction with English Heritage.