Plaque 17 Lloyds Bank,
(almshouse) and chapel were begun on this site by Abbot William de
Waterville in about 1172 and completed by his successor Abbot Benedict.
Benedict was formerly Prior of Christ Church, Canterbury and brought with
him some relics of St Thomas à Becket who was martyred there in 1170. The
relics were particularly valuable in attracting pilgrims so the nave of the
chapel, built out in such a prominent position in the Market Place, was a
very suitable place to house them. It is believed that the chapel was
demolished in the 15th century. The chancel however remained standing, as it
does today, and for some time after the Reformation was used as the
Cathedral Grammar School.