Peterborough Civic Society

Plaque 14   Geneva House, Park Road
The original Barrass Memorial Hall stood next to the Baptist Church in Queen Street and was opened in 1904. It was a memorial to the Rev Thomas Barrass who came to Peterborough in 1852 to minister to the small Baptist congregation which he increased to one of several hundred by the time he retired in 1900. Such was the respect in which he was held that he was known locally as the "Non-conformist Bishop of Peterborough." The church was destroyed by fire in 1905 and a new church and hall were built in Park Road in 1906/07. In 1987/88 the church was altered internally to include a hall and the Memorial Hall was sold and demolished. The present office block was built in 1989.
< Plaque 13

Plaque 15  >

Home | Contacts | Talks | Activities | Plaques

Site hosted by www.peterborough.net