Peterborough Civic Society

Plaque 13   Norwich Union House, Church Street
A theatre was built on this site in about 1798 for a local consortium called the Playhouse Proprietors. The building was leased to the managers of the Lincoln Theatre Circuit and they provided an annual season of performances to coincide with Race Week when Peterborough briefly became the centre of attraction in the horse racing calendar. The company failed in 1847 and the Corn Exchange Company, who wished to move indoors from the Market Place, became the new owners in 1848. The Corn Exchange designed by Samuel Hemming opened at the end of 1848, was extended in 1855 and again in 1869. It was demolished in 1963, having spent most of its later years as a public hall, and was replaced by the present offices.
< Plaque 12

Plaque 14  >

Home | Contacts | Talks | Activities | Plaques

Site hosted by www.peterborough.net