Peterborough Civic Society

Plaque 12    King Street
After Deacon's School was sold (see Plaque 10), the site was bought by land speculators who demolished the buildings and built a road through the grounds linking Queen Street with Cowgate. The new road was called King Street and the land on either side was sold as building plots in 1883. Many plots were left undeveloped, so it was possible for the Salvation Army, who had first come to Peterborough in 1883 and had been using temporary accommodation, to purchase most of the east side and construct a Citadel. This was designed by W G Scott and opened by Bramwell Booth in 1891. It was the Army's permanent home until 1986 when they moved to a new Citadel at New England.
< Plaque 11

Plaque 13  >

Home | Contacts | Talks | Activities | Plaques

Site hosted by www.peterborough.net