Peterborough Civic Society

Plaque 10    5 Cowgate
Local wool merchant Thomas Deacon left property and land in 1719 to endow a school for 20 boys. The buildings which formerly stood on this site were part of the endowment and already housed a school run by Charles Smith. (However the school traditionally dates its commencement from the "proving" of Deacon's will in 1721.) By the 1880s the buildings here had become unsuitable and the Charity Commissioners strongly advised the building of a new school. The school moved to Crown Lane (later Deacon Street) in 1883 and again in 1960 to Queens Gardens.
< Plaque 9

Plaque 11  >

Home | Contacts | Talks | Activities | Plaques

Site hosted by www.peterborough.net