Peterborough Civic Society

Plaque 1   Bishop Creighton School, Vineyard Road
St John the Baptist Church originally stood on this site. In 1402, the citizens and tradesmen of Peterborough decided to petition the Bishop of Lincoln (in whose diocese Peterborough then lay) to grant a licence for the demolition of the old church and its rebuilding on its present site in Cathedral Square. They sought the move because flooding prevented them attending church in winter. The Bishop granted his licence but it took five years to construct the new church. The first service was held in 1407 by the Abbot of Peterborough.

Plaque 2 >

Home | Contacts | Talks | Activities | Plaques

Site hosted by www.peterborough.net